외대부고 영어에세이대회 기출문제
※ 기출문제는 이전에 출제되었던 문제로서 문제의 경향을 파악하는데 도움을 드리고자 공개한 자료입니다. 올해 에세이 대회에는 똑같은 문제가 출제되는 것이 아니라, 새로운 문제가 출제됩니다.
* There exist numerous rules in the schools for students to follow. If there are any school regulations that you would like to change, state which to change and how you wish to change it.
* If you were to be one of the famous figures in our history, who would you like to be? What are the reasons for your choice?
* Write about a time when you realized that you made a good or bad decision.
* Have you been to a zoo before? Numerous animals live in the zoo. These animals provide fun and entertainment to people who visit the zoo. But there is a problem.?It is often said that the facility would not be? an adequate and sufficient environment to the animals and they may suffer greatly. What’s your opinion about keeping the animals in the zoo? Do you agree or disagree? If so, what are the reasons for your decision?
* People say that books are like mental food, nourishing our intelligence. What is the book that you recently read and impressed you the most? Why were you impressed by that book?
* The Ancient Greek aphorism "Know thyself“ (Know yourself) is one of the famous maxims. How much do you know about yourself? What is a word that best represents who you are and explain why you chose that word.
* If you were to live the life of another person for a day, who would you like to be? What are the reasons for your choice?
* People are often stressed out in their lives. Different people have various ways of relieving stress. How do you relieve stress?
* What do you think is the single greatest invention that’s been made for humanity? Give reasons to support your answer.
* If you could add a function to a cell phone, what is your suggestion? Why?
* History is a collection of recorded events from the past. People record their own lives in journals and diaries. What do you want to record most for the year 2015? Why?
* Recently, rent-a-dog services have become popular. There's no burden of adoption and being able to meet various breeds of dogs is interesting. However, some argue that it is immoral to rent a living thing as dogs are living creatures. Do you support rent-a-dog service? Why or why not?
* A prejudice is a negative opinion formed without full knowledge of the facts. A stereotype is a common belief about a person or group of people which may or may not be true. Have you experienced having a prejudice or stereotype? Give an example and explain how you felt and how you learned from this experience.
* Many schools oblige their students to do certain amounts of volunteering service before they?graduate. As the true meaning of “volunteering” lies in that one should be self-motivated to participate, some people show concerns regarding such “forced volunteering affecting grade. What is your opinion regarding this matter? Present specific reasons for your argument.
* In 2001, TIMES, the famous news magazine in US, selected “Sharing Economy” as an idea and a concept that will change to world. Have you ever shared any mental or material goods with your friends? Share your experience and explain the value of “sharing” in relations to your own experience.
* Recently, various media present works that reconstitute the historical events. The problem is that it may arouse historical distortion as the producers tend to modify the story to make it more interesting. Do you think movies or dramas that deal with historical events distort our history or do you think they help raising awareness and interests regarding our history? State your opinion and explain why.
* Recently, the term “plutocratic despotism (재벌횡포 혹은 갑의횡포)”-referring to people acting high-handedly- has been gaining attention in our society, As more and more people present abusive attitude toward those who are of the lower status in the service industry, the problem seems to grow severly. Have you heard of the term “noblesse oblige?” It means that people who have high social rank or wealth are obliged to present higher degree of morality, providing help and generosity to people in need. What is your opinion regarding this concept?
* The book The Last Lecture, written by professor Randy Pausch, states that “luck is where opportunity meets preparation.” While luck seems to plays an important role in making good outcomes, it can never overtake the importance of preparation. What have you done to prepare yourself for the future? What efforts have you made to achieve your dream?
* Gender equality is something that is often discussed in our society, They say it is important that we accept the difference between men and women but do not discriminate because of it. What do you think about this idea? What do you think should be improved to achieve true gender equality?
* According to the study conducted by the Health and Welfare Ministry, children in Korea are least satisfied with life among 23 OECD countries. The happiness index for Korean teenagers has been the lowest for four consecutive years. Why do you think Korea ranks so low in teenage happiness? Along with the reasons, state how you would promote your own happiness.
* In Korea, there are holidays such as Children’s Day, Hangul Day, and Memorial Day. If you could make a holiday, what would you celebrate it for? State your opinion and give supporting reasons.
* People sometimes act one way around their family and another way around their friends. What are some behaviors that people show to their friends but not to their families? Explain from your experience why people behave in such different ways.
* Who do you think would make a better leader? An introvert or an extrovert? State your opinion and reasons.
* There's a global buzzword on social media spreading among teenagers and the young. It’s YOLO which stands for “You Only Live Once.” Think about the meaning of YOLO. Is there something that you really want to do in your life? Why do you want to do it?
* If you were a teacher, would you prefer a student who performs well despite not studying much or a student who doesn’t perform well, but studies hard? Give your opinion and support with reasons.
* Some people believe art and music are important subjects in a school curriculum while others believe they are a waste of time. What is your opinion? Support your answer with explanations.